Our home is filled with a number of different types of furniture, but none is as bulky as compared to a bed. Starting from the mattress to the frame, head board and the side table, moving a bed can be a challenging task. Here are few tips that can be helpful while moving a bed and mattress across the city or country.
If you are planning to move the mattress by yourself that you could save some money without hiring packers and movers. In addition to it, moving the mattress yourself will help you to have a control over the entire shifting. You can choose the best way to pack the bed and relocate it to your new home. Take special care if the bed is antique one as it may not be dismantlable.
Things you are going to require
- A mattress cover to safeguard the mattress, frame, and additional units.
- Supportive friends or family members. You will require additional help to bring the mattress, frames and side table to the new place. There must be someone to support when you are placing the mattress into your moving vehicle.
- Bubble wraps, moving straps and strong tapes.
- Screwdrivers to disassemble and reassemble the bed.
- A container to securely keep all the nut and bolts after disassembling it.
- A vehicle to transport the bed and mattress.
Size of vehicle to Rent
If you are only planning to move the bed and the mattress and don’t have other furniture or other bulky household stuff, you can choose a small or medium sized truck for yourself. Even a tempo would do, if your bed is fully dismantable.
Method to Move the Bed
Start with washing and packing all the bed sheets, pillows, blankets and side pillows. Once everything is packed strip down the bed and start with packing the mattress. Back up help for moving the heavy item maybe required.
Once you have packed the mattress, then you can start with the disassembling of the bed frame. Careful remove and collect all the screws and small nuts and bolts into a container. Heavily wrap the frame of the bed , you can use bubble wrap or blanket for additional protection. This will prevent the frame from getting scratched or damaged. Carefully pick and carry each item based on their length to the truck.
Other options for moving your bed
- Moving container – If you are planning to store your bed temporarily then you can opt for a moving container to move the mattress and bed unit. During the moving day simple move the container with bed and mattress.
- Shipping – If you want the bed and mattress to the new place soon then shipping is the best and quick way. While shipping the bed carefully wrap and protect the bed frame, mattress, and another additional units. This will safeguard the bed from damage due to long distance uneven ride.
- Hire professionals-You can always take services of the professional packing and moving company. This may cost you more but it will save a lot of time and efforts too. Professionals have experience in moving all kind of beds and furniture. They will make sure the moving is done in an efficient way.