Packing your entire house and after a big move, you will find yourself between piles of furniture and boxes. The job of unpacking is very daunting and intimidating. But, it’s inevitable, no matter how much you may want to put it off! Do not open and unpacking everything at a time or in the same day. To start with consider the most basic and essential needs and unpack the boxes accordingly. It is advisable to focus on one room at a time.
Before opening those boxes, it is important to give your new home a good cleaning. The landlord may have cleaned but it is still better to do some dusting and wipe down everything.
Unpacking The Kitchen
It is prudent to unpack and set up the kitchen enough to function. All the moving and unpacking is bound to make everyone hungry. Do not unpack everything in the kitchen, you can start with unpacking and organizing the essentials first. It is best to skip unpacking the less frequently used tools and items – like your baking utensils and expensive crockery. You can arrange them once you have settled down well and things seem to be back to normal.
Unpacking the Bathroom
The next important thing to organize is the bathroom. Consider unpacking the shared bathroom first, that can be used by everyone at home if you have children. Ensure all the plumbing work is done in advance, check the function and then arrange toiletries in place. After the hot sweaty day of moving and unpacking, everyone wants a relaxing shower.
Unpacking the Bedroom
You would be already exhausted packing, moving and unpacking your home. Don’t be upset if you were not able to set up the bedroom on the first night – just flop down on your mattresses and go to sleep. You can take help of the packers and movers to assemble the beds and mattress. This will reduce your burden, you can later unpack and arrange the belongings.
Unpacking the Living Room
After setting up the kitchen and bathroom, you can unpack the rest without any urgency. You can start focusing on the living room, before unpacking the furniture and other things prepare a rough draft of the room and plan in advance how you want to arrange your furniture. This will make the entire process easy and error free. you can lift and place the couch once you have finalized the sketch of the living room.
Some additional Tips
- Once you unpack a decoration item or a wall art, keep it to the side. You can move it as per your choice later on.
- Avoid electronics like TV and smart phones for few days, this will help you to focus on getting organized. You can watch the TV after you have unpacked your belongings.
- Take time to setup kids room and play area, meanwhile, you can allocate a dedicated room to keep the boxes.
- Plan the room that you want to unpack first before opening the boxes.
- Small but important task, like lining the shelves and organizing closets, should be done hand to hand, if you postpone you will never get to it in future.